BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 23, 2009

invisible

Well, I officially started with my new district on Monday of this last week, and all week was full of orientations, meetings, and in-services. A pretty normal start for any first week back.

School starts for kids on September 8th, and as of yet, my 2 buildings are STILL off-limits, as they were under construction all summer with remodeling, building additions, and installation of CENTRAL AIR! I was able to go in to my brand new library a couple of weeks ago to tell the movers where I wanted the shelving and checkout desk to go. It's beautiful! Needless to say, that library is all discombobbled, and the entire collection of books is still stored off-site somewhere in hundreds of boxes. *ugh

According to the administration, "moving day" is scheduled for some day this week, when we all should be given clearance to get into our buildings and be able to begin preparing our classrooms for kids! I pray that that's the case!!

My other library is older and didn't have to be all boxed up, but it is being used as a district storehouse to store every classroom teacher's collection of boxes containing their classroom stuff. On Wednesday of this week, I get to go "in" and begin the daunting task of trying to check in supplies and check out teacher's stuff. It shall prove to be an interesting couple of weeks as I bounce back & forth every other day from one library to the next. I am completely and utterly out of my element.

This first week back, having no place to go, and 2 building administrators to try to pin down, has been most challenging on my "normally organized classroom teacher mentality". I'm finding out that I don't yet "fit" with either of my buildings of teachers, simply because we haven't all been able to be in the same place at the same time and when we are together, they're all busy trying to collaborate with their teaching partners and grade level teams. Also, I understand how we're all equally as anxious to get this show on the road.

I've quickly discovered that the information flow from administrators to staff doesn't always trickle down completely to the "specials" teachers. I'm feeling like a fish out of water... gasping for air and yearning for a cool refreshing pond (aka: a LIBRARY!) to dive in and get to do work doing what I love best... which is TEACHING KIDS! It's strange, already, to not be looked at by some, or considered as a teacher. One of my new principals spoke without thinking when she said, "You don't need to attend the staff meeting. You're not considered staff... you're just a librarian." *ugh! I'm like a puzzle piece, without a box~ like a steaming hot piece of corn-on-the-cob without butter... like cat without nip.

Even moreso, I feel like a foster child, who has not been place yet-- longing to be a part of a family. I'm "in the system" but not yet a part of anything remotely related to the "family" that I'm used to being a part of.

I'm completely out of my element, as far as not having my classroom assembled and ready to go, yet I'm peaceful about all that. Honestly, I'm certain that those bulletin boards are a minor detail compared to the bright smiling faces of kids! I really, really need to meet my new KIDS!

Having been at the forefront of many of the leadership teams at my previous school, and now, having nobody even to connect with... it's the strangest feeling in the world. I feel invisible. Perhaps that's why I'm anxious to get started on our next class together, just so I feel connected to something in the midst of all this district chaos.

At this point, it's best that I remain transparent about the realities of my first week on the job. I truly believe that once those kids arrive, all of these grey clouds of change will disappear and I'll be back in my happy place as a teacher.

Until then... I'll watch, and wait, for those rays of inspiration to return. I will do whatever it takes to earn the respect of my peers as a Teacher, and not "just a Librarian."

7 comments:

Krazy Dandelion said...

sorry. My comment moderation for my students was still in force and this feature was disabled. Sorry for the techy glitch.

Wesley Fryer said...

Angie:

Good luck getting acclimated! I'm sure you're going to make the transition with flying colors. I'm excited for you and your new job challenges as well as opportunities!

A couple librarian-related resources that may be of interest to you...

The Flickr group Libraries and Librarians is a great place to network with other librarians all over the world. These aren't just school librarians-- I learned about this at the Hawaii Library Association's conference in 2006:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/librariesandlibrarians/

The K12Online08 preso "Beyond the Stacks: Using Emerging Technologies to Strengthen Teacher-librarian Leadership" might be of interest to you in your new role:
http://k12onlineconference.org/?p=343

The collaborative VoiceThread project "great book stories" may be a super place for your students and teachers to start collaborating. Think of these as the 21st century, interactive book reports:
http://greatbookstories.pbworks.com/

Last of all, if you're not already definitely subscribe to Joyce Valenza's blog! She's one of the most innovative school librarians I know!
http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/blog/1340000334.html

Best of luck!

Wes

Wesley Fryer said...

You also should definitely check out Google Lit Trips and share these with teachers and students, if you have not already:
http://www.googlelittrips.org/

Angie said...

Just a librarian? Just a librarian? You will SO prove them wrong.

Welcome! We share a name and a profession. It's both an awesome name and an awesome profession.


Words of wisdom ... let me think. Smile. Greet everyone with a hello and, if you're like me and associate faces with reading preferences but have the WORST time matching those 700+ faces to names "Hey, Sport" or "Honey, what can I help you with today?" work pretty well. At least for students. Don't take anything TOO seriously as like any teaching some things will go really well and some things, even though you did your best preparation, will not. Tomorrow is another day.

Take advantage of Google Reader to follow up on authors, illustrators, movie tie-ins to books, websites that relate to curriculum. Staff, students, and other librarians think I know so much when really it's just something I glanced at online. I am a compulsive collector ... here are a few of the ones I like. There are many more where these came from.

http://planetesme.blogspot.com/
http://rickriordan.blogspot.com/
http://jkrbooks.typepad.com/blog/
http://6traits.wordpress.com/
http://blog.richmond.edu/openwidelookinside
http://floriancafe.blogspot.com/
http://www.kidderlit.com/
http://mowillemsdoodles.blogspot.com/
http://www.freetech4teachers.com/
http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/


And of course, the site that sent me to you, http://www.speedofcreativity.org/.


Good luck!

Beth Swantz said...

I can so identify ...but I do have a couple of advantages...I am in the same district where I had been an elementary teacher. But, as a HS/MS librarian I don't have the base of comfort that I had. Instead I walked into the HS staff meeting this morning wondering where to sit, when to go to the bathroom and if people would talk to me.

Even though the administrators are basically ignoring me, the staff has been much more welcoming. I have incredible media secretaries in the two in-district buildings. They make me feel like I am a part.

My biggest headache is a neighboring district who is superintendent, business manager and technology/librarian sharing. That means I go 2 days a week and the elementary librarian goes 1 day a week. We know no one and are working on computers that were worn out 10 years ago.
Tomorrow is our first official day in district - elementary staff meeting.

I am trying to be calm and patient and not stress out of what I can't control. My teacher-controlling perfectionist self is causing some pain...but I'm learning.

I have incredible connections with my old staff and the elementary librarian has been my mentor both professionally and personally for a long time...

I would love to keep connected...life will settle - maybe not until Christmas. But, I already feel the possibilities of tons of opportunities rolling out in front of us!!!

Good luck!!!

Esspweb said...

Nice post. I really like it.
Cheap Essays

Buy Essays said...

Very interesting post.Thanks for sharing.